lavapipe and sparse memory bindings: part two

 Thanks for all the suggestions, on here, and on twitter and on mastodon, anyway who noted I could use a single fd and avoid all the pain was correct!

I hacked up an ever growing ftruncate/madvise memfd and it seemed to work fine. In order to use it for sparse I have to use it for all device memory allocations in lavapipe which means if I push forward I probably have to prove it works and scales a bit better to myself. I suspect layering some of the pb bufmgr code on top of an ever growing fd might work, or maybe just having multiple 2GB buffers might be enough.

Not sure how best to do shaderResourceResidency, userfaultfd might be somewhat useful, mapping with PROT_NONE and then using write(2) to get a -EFAULT is also promising, but I'm not sure how best to avoid segfaults for read/writes to PROT_NONE regions.

Once I got that going, though I ran headfirst into something that should have been obvious to me, but I hadn't thought through.

llvmpipe allocates all it's textures linearly, there is no tiling (even for vulkan optimal). Sparse textures are incompatible with linear implementations. For sparseImage2D you have to be able to give the sparse tile sizes from just the image format. This typically means you have to work out how large the tile that fits into a hw page is in w/h. Of course for a linear image, this would be dependent on the image stride not just the format, and you just don't have that information.

I guess it means texture tiling in llvmpipe might have to become a thing, we've thought about it over the years but I don't think there's ever been a solid positive for implementing it.

Might have to put sparse support on the back burner for a little while longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fedora 38 LLVM vs Team Fortress 2 (TF2)

tinygrad + rusticl + aco: why not?

nvk: the kernel changes needed