video decode: crossing the streams

I was interested in how much work a vaapi on top of vulkan video proof of concept would be.

My main reason for being interested is actually video encoding, there is no good vulkan video encoding demo yet, and I'm not experienced enough in the area to write one, but I can hack stuff. I think it is probably easier to hack a vaapi encode to vulkan video encode than write a demo app myself.

With that in mind I decided to see what decode would look like first. I talked to Mike B (most famous zink author) before he left for holidays, then I ignored everything he told me and wrote a super hack.

This morning I convinced zink vaapi on top anv with iris GL doing the presents in mpv to show me some useful frames of video. However zink vaapi on anv with zink GL is failing miserably (well green jellyfish).

I'm not sure how much more I'll push on the decode side at this stage, I really wanted it to validate the driver side code, and I've found a few bugs in there already.

The WIP hacks are at [1]. I might push on to encode side and see if I can workout what it entails, though the encode spec work is a lot more changeable at the moment.

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/airlied/mesa/-/commits/zink-video-wip

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fedora 38 LLVM vs Team Fortress 2 (TF2)

tinygrad + rusticl + aco: why not?

nvk: the kernel changes needed